The semiconductor diode is an electronic component manufactured as a semiconductor with PN Semiconductor Junction and two leads. The diode has the same parameters and operating waveforms as the PN junction. The construction of the semiconductor diode forces it to conduct current in one direction while in the other it acts as a barrier.
The use of such a diode can be found in all analog and digital circuits. Analog circuits use the dynamic resistance characteristic as well as capacitance control as a function of voltage. Digital circuits use the switching nature of the diodes. The main applications of semiconductor diode are AC converters, detection circuits, generators, switches and amplifiers. In each diode there is a parameter at which the diode behaves like a capacitor when crossed.
The section of semiconductor diodes due to:
- Used material – silicon, germanium,
- The structure of the junction,
- Used phenomena.
The division of the diode is caused by:
- Concentration of dopants that affect current-voltage characteristics,
- The dimensions of the connector’s structural areas,
- Parameters of semiconductors,
- Saturation current depending on the material used,
- Influence of temperature on saturation current.